Sunday, April 17, 2022

Messe Mortuaire - Nocturnal Demonic Visitation (Demo/EP 2022)

I'm going to preface my review with a little bit about myself. I've always loved death metal. Always.
After 30 years of listening to death metal (among other types of extreme metal) I had realized one day, i need to keep searching more newer bands, So, Messe Mortuaire came up and I gave it a listen. The atmosphere on this EP is hideous, ugly, disgusting, and vile. They somehow managed to capture the sonic essence of all of the grotesque subject matter of Death Metal. I think a lot of it has to do with the production. It's raw, a little murky, with razor sharp guitars and the bass high in the mix, thumping away like a diseased human heart about to give up.The thing is, nothing on this release is boring. It's pure energy, from start to finish. Every riff, every lead, every kick on the bass drum, it's all flawless, relentless power. It's primitive death metal, for sure. You certainly won't find any technical acrobatics here, but what is here is a collection of exciting, in-your-fucking-face death metal. It captures a grotesque atmosphere. It really is essential listening !!

messemortuaire.bandcamp.com

Review by Paul Caravasi

No comments:

Post a Comment