Saturday, November 12, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH THE DAMNNATION


The newest Brazilian metal band, The Damnnation, presents a versatile sound, which mixes several strands of extreme metal. Three insane girls making metal without labels, conscious and consistent with themes of depression, injustice and politics. With influences from Testament, Megadeth, Metallica and Kreator. The Damnnation is a power trio that started in 2019 by Renata Petrelli.

Hi Renata. Congratulations on the album. Are you feeling settled in the group after being the singer?  It must be hard coming into a new group as a singer?

Every aspect of the band is vital but as the singer you are front and centre. In fact I'm still working on it. I still think myself as a guitarist who (tries to)sing. About feeling myself as the front person, I don't give a damn, once for me is ok to interact with people. On the previous band I used to do it sometimes when needed.

How does the songwriting process differ from other projects you’ve been involved with? Nothing, lol. Like the other ones I arrange the songs, then I show it for the rest of the band who put their tastes, opinions and make bass and drums better lol.

How important is it to you to have a variety on the album? It gives you the chance to show more sides to your voice too?

Of course! For me is extremly important to make and album in a organic way... like, when you are inspired you put your ass on the chair and start to write. Not to write 10 songs in a row just because you have a schedule to delivery it.

Sitting and listening to an album on the stereo is a brilliant experience. You can really take in the whole package and the artwork. The artwork is special. How do you go about deciding on the artwork and who to work with?

We just told to Alcides Burns (the illustrator behind this amazing work), that we wanted an art that sinthetises all the lyrics... specially about alienation and politics.

I know you have your metal influences, but are there any singers or artists that you look to outside of heavy metal for inspiration?

Yeah, in fact, a lot: Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blackberry Smoke.

How would you compare the previous EP with this new album?

I'm pretty less shy on singing! The EP I recorded it turning my back to the producer lol. This one, after a 3 days no stopping class with Mayara Puertas I could know better my voice range, which helped me a lot on recording this album.

Were there any songs that were actually more challenging for you to record?

Grief of Death and The Greed. Grief of Death because I need to sing during a change riffing. And the Greed because It is our fast song.

What are some things that you’ve learned from this pandemic?

Not good things. Lol. But it can be inspiring somehow...

Are you  planning to release an album every year? Like how artists used to do it back in the day?

No... Probably 1 every 2 years.

So how did you first get into metal? What was your first experience?

All the guilty goes to my mother. She is a rock n' roll lover, so I was introduced to Queen, Creedance, Black Sabbath, Bon Jovi since an early age. Around 6, 8 I already loved Nirvana, and Metallica was my first gig ever, and it changed my life.

Are there any  gigs planned besides Brazil? Maybe touring United States ?

We are working on that, but probably something next year!

Where would you personally want to be with The Damnnation in 5 years?

In terms of musical goals, development, etc., in a general sense. Playing around the globe, hopefully doing just it in my life.

Is there anything you would like to tell to your fans or the readers of Soulgrinder Zine?

I would like to thank you for the interview, and all the people who have been supporting us! This album is a very passionated one, composed and recorded with all of our love, rage and honesty! Hope you all enjoy!

Thank you so much for answering this interview, I really enjoyed it and I am looking forward so much to see The Damnanation live soon. Cheers!!

THank youuuu

thedamnnation.com.br

Interview by Paul Caravasi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment