Thursday, December 20, 2018

Death In Your Yard-Make Crossover Attack Again (2018)

I pretty much discovered this band by accident. You can imagine my surprise when I'm listening to this album by a band called Death In Your Yard From Israel, with arguably one of the kick ass art covers I've ever seen in these later years, and it's absolutely amazing. I was not, I repeat, I was not ready for the crossover audio assault that came pouring through my speakers and down my ear drums. Although not the most original crossover thrash album in the world, this one is an onslaught of genuinely aggressive riffs, fast vigorous guitar solos, and just a damn powerful sound. Make Crossover Attack Again have one of the coolest drum sounds I've ever heard, it's definitely something that I usually gloss over, but it's so fucking crisp that I can't help but notice and admire it. And it's not just the drums, it's the guitars and bass too, it feels like they achieved a perfect audio balance that works entirely to their strengths, and their strengths lie in the riffs. Look, it's undeniable that these guys takes large influence from the late 80s, mainly D.R.I. Excel and Suicidal Tendencies, the vocalist even sounds a lot like Mike Muir. But goddamn it, I say they do it better, and this is the passion for me particularly well-versed in crossover thrash, but it's also the word of someone who has a lot of passion for the music that i'm listening to. Make Crossover Attack Again is a perfect music record and I can usually answer that question very easily by asking myself the following question: "Does this record have a bad song?". And the answer to that is a resounding fucking no! All the more impressive considering it's a crossover thrash album, a style very well known for its long track length and short songs that sometimes just don't do anything for you. All the songs here slay! The riffs are heavy and just don't stop coming, it's like a huge sea storm with non-stop ship-wrecking waves pouring from each side. The occasional thunder cracks the sky and those are the guitar solos, they are fast with a tinge of melody, they are powerful and they are rare. It's not lack of talent, because with fewer solos come tasty riffs, and these guys just have riffs to spare. It's a pointless exercise to pick highlights or best songs here, this album is very consistent. It seems to always be like that, isn't it? The fewer expectations you have, the bigger is the probability to be completely stunned by the music, and this album gave me one hell of a stone cold stunner. The guys from Israel aren't the creators of crossover thrash, but to me, they perfected it. Flawless !!
www.facebook.com/TheDIYY
Review by Paul Caravasi

No comments:

Post a Comment